Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lunch & Learn

The place that I work sponsors interesting speakers to come in over a lunch hour and talk about different topics. I have been to quite a few of the little lectures - and they are very informative. It's a very nice perk that our company offers.

Today's topic - Organ and Tissue Donation. Wow - what an eyeopener. I have always been signed up to donate - but if I hadn't - this would have convinced me to.

http://www.giftofhope.org/

In Illinois alone, over 5000 people are on a waiting list for a kidney (this is the most common donation needed). Just a kidney. We aren't talking about the thousands also waiting on a heart or a lung or a pancreas or other organ. That scared me. My daughter only has one kidney. Only 2% of those folks that sign up are even accepted as good matches. Holy crap. I might not even be able to save my own daughter's life. I knew they would never take my liver but I figured I could do a living or deceased donation for a kidney. I never realized the testing that is involved.

The speakers covered all of the common questions. Will the ER work on me as long if they know I am a donor? Yes - they have no idea who is and who isn't. Completely different department of a hospital than the transplant teams - and in Illinois - the Sec of State actually maintains that list. Do rich people get the transplants first? Nope - you are just another number. They even mentioned Walter Peyton. He died waiting for a liver.

So - in a nutshell - sign up & tell your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment