Monday, October 19, 2009

Women...

One of my favorite things to do is watch the Sunday news programs. I miss them quite a bit but I manage to catch enough to be dangerous.

Currently, NBC & Maria Shriver are covering women in the workplace. I caught a 10 minute clip of Gloria Steinhem's appearance on Meet the Press back in the 70's. Think what you want about her - but without her and women like her pushing the envelope, I would hate to think what my life would be like! We've come a long way, baby? Wow, I am not so sure. Yes, we have made huge strides in both the workplace and our community attitudes - but I think we have such a long way to go.

Way back in the day, I was very active in a local business women's group and participated in quite a bit of public speaking competitions. Usually the speeches were about the glass ceiling, stereotypes - topics like that. I believe that things are better - and maybe that glass isn't quite as thick as it used to be! Those women in the club served as wonderful role models and a great support group for me. Somehow, I managed to convince myself that I could conquer whatever I put my mind to. As a single mom, I graduated from college, worked full time, ran a household and still managed to raise children. And I know that there are zillions of women out there that do the same thing every day and I applaud them.

I hope that things continue to improve in our country for my three daughters. More than that, I hope my sons have been raised to believe that women are their equals.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33247001/ns/today-a_womans_nation/

No comments:

Post a Comment