Friday, November 6, 2009

Perspective

I am not sure if it was my aunt Janet or coach Jack - but I think it is finally time to return to my blogging...

I took a mental health day off from work today. I needed it. I have felt like I have been drowning at work this past week. Maybe it is time to air the dirty laundry - shout it out loud - move on - gain perspective - and remember the important people in my life.

Two horrible events occurred at the same time this past week. You know, when it rains, it pours?

I had an office install go badly - very badly. I had a provider absolutely bold face lie to me. Now, this wasn't just a sales rep (who I actually like) but some muckety muck that I had escalated & escalated again a problem to. And without boring details - it's like a house of cards. If the base collapses, then the whole deck comes tumbling down. And, as the builder of this 'house', it is my head on the chopping block. And trust me, I had my head in a guillotine on this one. I had so many people yelling at me that I just felt crushed.

I deal with a workplace bully every single day. Some days - not too bad - other days - absolutely horrible. And she picks different co-workers to bully. I don't know how many times we have literally said aloud - wow, must be your turn this week! How incredibly sad is that? How can someone behave this way? And, as most companies react, it is swept under the rug repeatedly. So - I (like others) carry on and gain strength knowing that those around me do care about me.

So - how to gain perspective at work?

I have a very good friend that lets me vent every morning. And yes, I am probably a better talker than I am a listener but she lets me be the way I am and I do love her for that.

I also had a flash of true friendship this week that just shocked me from someone completely unexpected. I had basically cried for three days over this horrible install. Now, mind you, I am not a huge cryer - I am a stomp off and throw a temper tantrum kind of girl. This person left work to run an 'errand'. She came back with my favorite Starbuck's Chai Tea and a bag of M&M's. Wow. I cried - not the reaction I think she was going for - but wow. What a totally unexpected act of kindness - and I couldn't have needed it more!

Again - how to gain perspective at work? Hang in there. You have friends that will surround you to provide a barrier from the bad things and supply you with unconditional love and will support you regardless of how screwed up things get.

And - it's only a job.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry your workplace is unpleasant. As for the bully, I may have to take her out. Much love to you and a huge POOR BABY.

    ReplyDelete